This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SignalID Generation

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM
Hello, I am new to openPDC and synchrophasors in general.. so please bear with me. My question relates to SignalIDs in Measurements. I've written a small test application that reads data from a PMU over UDP and writes the Measurements to a mySQL DB. It all seems to work great, but one thing I don't understand is who or what is repsonsible for generating the SignalID GUID associated with a ChannelValueMeasurement. In scanning the documentation it appeared to suggest that it was generated automatically, all of mine are zeroed however. Thanks
Apr 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hi SeanZ,

SignalID in measurement table is an unique identifier associated with each measurement defined in the system.

Did you run openPDC.sql scripts available for download to create your database? If so, please make sure that the Measurement table has "UpdateMeasurementGuid" trigger associated with it. If not, then run this script agains openPDC database in mySQL.

CREATE TRIGGER UpdateMeasurementGuid BEFORE INSERT ON Measurement FOR EACH ROW

SET NEW.SignalID = UUID();

Please let us know if this does not help. Thank you,

Mehul Thakkar

May 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Perhaps we need a little more detail about your application - are you using the phasor protocols directly or are you extending the openPDC with adapters? Depending on which level of the openPDC API your code is operating against will determine the answer to your question. For example, are you using the "device to data in 5 easy steps"? If so, this will require some more work on your part for assigning signal ID's, otherwise if you are writing an adapter extension to the openPDC the signal ID's will be assigned for you.

Let us know if we can help you in anyway - thanks for checking out the openPDC!

Thanks,

Ritchie

May 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Mehul, Ritchie, Thanks for your quick replies.. Mehul's suggestion worked great for me. Just FYI, I used the "device to data" code as a starting point then added the MySQLOutputAdapter a bit later.. big learning curve for me, but I now have a great appreciation for all the work you guys have done.. thanks for the help! Sean