This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Linux PMU Simulator

Developer
Nov 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I'm new to the openPDC environment/technology.  I've seen a couple posts mentioning PMU simulators and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

I'm looking to deploy openPDC as part of a college competition and am in need of sensors to feed data to the openPDC across a closed network.  Setting up openPDC looks pretty straightforward, but now I'm in need of sensors to run on linux systems spread across the network.

If anyone knows, or can help point me in a good direction for this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please and thank you,

Tim Rosenberg

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Wow - that sounds fun! Let us know how we can help. Few ideas: (1) one simple way would be to setup a Java app that simply read the raw sample file data that comes with the openPDC (Sample1344.PmuCapture) and rebroadcast it over UDP or TCP, (2) get in contact with Dr. YiLu (University of Tennessee now was at Virginia Tech before) about connecting to some real F-NET (this may now be called GridEye) devices on the Internet, (3) contact SEL or other vendors about borrowing some equipment and/or connecting to their Internet based sample connections, (4) try to get some of the openPDC running under Mono on Linux (see: Device to Data in 5 Easy Steps) - been wanting to tinker with this myself but don't have the time.

Best of Luck!
Ritchie

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.  I'll give 1 and 4 a try.  I'll be sure to document any progress.  I'm planning on running the openPDC on a Windows 2008 server and the DB back end on linux MySQL.  Open 3 may work.  Part of the competition revolves around security, so I'm not sure how many vendors will like to play.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you,

Tim

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM
Edited Nov 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM

What is your competition deadline? 

I'm presently releasing an alpha version of a research PMU sensor.  I don't have enough hardware or time to go around.  However, if you or your colleagues are able to wire up prototype boards and program Microchip PIC controllers; and if you have enough time, you can make your own sensors from my proof of concept prototype PMU design. The sensor design and documentation will be published next year as open source (LGPL Licensed, Copyright GridTrak). 

Let me know if you are interested in building sensor prototypes and providing me design and implementation feedback.  If you are, I can give you enough information to work with to build your own research PMU.  The production release of the research PMU will be available for sale in January.  But, for competition, you might score more points by buidling your own - and you might improve on the design!

The alpha test PMU schematic:  http://wiki.gridtrak.com/wiki/index.php/PHzSensor_Model_10

Test software screen shot: http://wiki.gridtrak.com/wiki/index.php/File:GridTrakPMU_Live_Screenshot.png

openPDC PMU Connection Tester compatibility verification: http://wiki.gridtrak.com/wiki/index.php/GridTrak_openPDC_Integration

Arnold

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I'll tackle a couple of answers and questions here.

Arnold, As much as I'd like to, we are pretty much a networking and code shop.  The competition is in March of next year, so we have time, but wiring up boards is beyond us. Your research sensor looks like exactly what we need, small and pre-built.  Do you happen to have a ballpark price?

Speaking of networking; is there a schematic showing the various parts of openPDC with port and protocols?  So far, I've identified the easy ones (TCP/3306 for MySQL, TCP 8900 for command/control).  The manager wants to connect to 8800, but keeps failing. I'm in the process of splitting everything out into separate systems.  Linux MySQL for the back end, Windows 2008 for the service and then XP/7 for the GUI front end.

From a general progress, I came across an error in the openPDC.sql file for MySQL.  Starting on line 717, there are a couple of COALESCE statements with a space between COALESCE and the next character; which is the open parens.  The space causes the sql script to fail.  Once I removed them, it setup the DB right quick.

Thanks again,

Tim

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Some background on what all this is for:

My shop helps run the Mid Atlantic Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (http://www.midatlanticccdc.org/CCDC/).  Basically my job is to build a complex network for the college teams to defend over several days while a group of professional network penetration testers try to break in.  As you can see from the website, this year's theme is Smart Grids.  The top defending team from this competition (and several others around the country) move on to compete in the National event funded by DHS.

The end goal of this project is to make each defending team a utility, with a pre-built infrastructure of network devices designed to work as they would in the outside world.  The preference is to go for open source solutions since we need to support up to 8 full teams.  From an code sharing perspective, anything that is crowd sourced is given over to the universities at the end of the competition.

That should help provide a frame of reference for what we are trying to do.

Cheers,

Tim

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2010 at 1:57 AM

With regards to security, the GridTrak PMU is not really on the security perimeter and the sensor is connected by RS232 serial port (or RS232/USB converter) to a PC Host. The PC Host should be on the inside of the security perimeter. The GridTrak PMU has no built in security features. The GridTrak PMU is only as secure as its PC Host. I stated “GridTrak” because other PMUs may not require a PC Host and may have built in security features.

Although it would be cool for you to use real live grid data for your competition, you might find it best to pursue software simulation or recorded data replay to have more control over the data and have repeatability.

Arnold

Developer
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Alstom Grid Research & Technology - PMU Simulator -

From NASPI Phasor Tools reference:

http://www.naspi.org/toolRepository/tool_details.aspx?tid=93

For a description of how the simulator was applied:

http://www.aesieap0910.org/upload/File/20101020%E4%B8%8A%E5%82%B3/PP0202019.pdf

Developer
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Thank you for the links and references....hopefully I'll have an update here before Thanksgiving,

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Nice, I am also doing the same thing PDC software and PMU Simulator. I am using the Linux platform for development and PMU simulator & PDC Parser is near about to completion shortly and i will make it as a free and open software. And shortly i will post the link here for download.  

Developer
Feb 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I'm interested in what you come up with for a PMU Simulator.  Keep us posted please.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:05 AM

I dont get it man, i wrote complete code in C (Linux environment). I have a doubt tell me my PMU simulator sending the frames is array of HEX over socket (like data frame: aa010030003c489337430008d9a0000042c827b9bfc89ec242c7e4794027ad2742c805113f06beb00000000000001a9c ), so is it correct? or it should send byte by byte?

Developer
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I am sure you need to transmit the data as binary bytes, not ASCII Hexidecimal characters.

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Hi Ritchie

Can I get some sample PMU binary data that  a PDC receives. I am designing and implementing the PDC for academic purpose. Without getting sample PMU data I wont be able write a parser.

BRegards

t20

Developer
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Edited Feb 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I'll pitch in here with some openPMU data captured by PMU Connection Tester.  The capture contains the response to the Header, Config1, and Config2 commands followed by the data in response to the Real Time Data command.  I'm not sure how well the Stop Capture routine works with regards to waiting until the end of the last frame - i.e. the last data frame is probably chopped.  Note, the commands Sent from PMU Connection Tester to the PMU are not included in the capture.

Arnold

Note:  The sample file I originally linked here is no longer available.  Let me know if I should post another sample capture file.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

See the below link you could get help in PMU Simulator, and PDC Software on LINUX platform.....

http://www.wafms.co.cc/ipdc_iitb.html

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hi visit the below link for Linux PMU Simulator and Phasor Data Concentrator. 

http://ipdc.codeplex.com/