This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

OpenPDC Manager crashes during Input Status Monitoring

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM

hello,

After I create a device & then click on 'Monitoring' to go to 'Input Status Monitoring', in the window for the device which was created which has a green light, if I check on one of the measurements under the selected device, OpenPDC Manager hangs for a second and the just closes. This is a weird problem/bug I found & it would be great if anyone could tell me a solution around it.

Cheers

Kunal Dekhane

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hi Kunal,

Which verison of the openPDC are you using? Also what is the configuration of your machine running openPDC Manager? This will help us reproduce this error internally.

We had this problem before when Input Status & Monitoring screen was using REST services. But since change set # 61389, it uses socket based subcription API and receives data directly from openPDC over TCP. Also we have modified code to use Microsoft Parallel Programming framework which has improved performance. Also newer version allows user to control referesh rate via Manage --> System Settings screen which can be adjusted for better stability. So if you are using older version then I would recommend upgrading it with the latest nightly build.

Please let me know if this helps or not.

Thanks,
Mehul Thakkar

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Hello Mehul,

I'm using the latest Oct 2010 release and my operating system is Windows XP. My labmate working on another computer with similar specifications and the same version of OpenPDC is also experiencing the same problem. Also, this happens only when the green icons next to the 'direct connected' devices in 'Input Status Monitoring' are illuminated. After the OpenPDC crashes & I open it again, the bulb like icons turn pale. Do I have to configure all my devices again using the 'Configuration Wizard'? The left side of my screen (before crashing) is the same as in the first image of this link from the documentation page (and as soon as I tick on any parameters, it closes automatically.

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Introducing%20the%20openPDC%20Manager&referringTitle=Documentation

I hope I'm able to explain my doubt sufficiently.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Kunal Dekhane

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Can you try the nightly build from the following link:

Nightly Builds

Make sure to click one of the links in the body of the text - not the download button on the right of the screen (that always downloads last production release).

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Hey Mehul,

Sorry for the late response but I was a little busy with some other stuff regarding PMUs. Anyway, I tried what you'd asked. Installed the latest version from nightly builds and did NOT use the download button like you suggested. The new openPDC does appear to be a little different than the one before atleast in the drop down menus. Now, in this version, the problem occurs when I try to add devices to my set up. Its fine till I configure the node & the historian but when I go to add devices by going to Devices>Add new (wizard), in Step 1: Configure connection settings, I upload the connection file saved from PMU Connection tester & click next, and in step 2, as I try to upload the configuration file (saved from PMU Connection tester), I get an error dialog saying the following

What Happened

An unexpected exception has occurred in openPDCManager. This may be due to an inconsistent system state or a programming error.
Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

How will this affect you

The action you requested was not performed.

What can you do about it

Restart openPDCManager, and try repeating your last action. Try alternative methods of performing the same action. 

After this, there's long drop down box showing 'More information about the error'. I can copy paste that error here if you'd like. 

And then when I click on OK, OpenPDC closes automatically. 

This is one of the bugs I found.