This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

OpenPDC for SEL Equipments

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and PMU world. We are planning to establish a Synchro Phasor Lab in our school, and I will work as a student there. We will be using SEL equipments ( sel-421, sel-3378 (SVP)). I was wondering if I can use OpenPDC with SEL Equipments. Also, what are the superior sides of OpenPDC over SEL-5078 and SEL-5076 softwares other than cost. My main question is OpenPDC and SEL-5078/5076 do the same thing?

I know this is a silly question, but I am still exploring things,

Thank you

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Tough question to properly respond to without knowing the purpose of the lab that you are setting up. 

Thre are of course other verndors besides GPA and SEL, but since you asked about them, and this is an OpenPDC site, I will just compate them.

Both the SEL PDCs and OpenPDC will do similar things with respect to time-alignment and support for 37.118.

SEL has a support system of a large company, and their applications and devices are deployed at many companies.    OpenPDC do not ahve support so you will either have to purchase suppport or utilize the codeplex site here to gain help (should be good enough for a lab).

If you are looking to test high speed switching of SEL devices it may make sense to still to all SEL products.  However if you want to build custom adapters to act on phasor data, or have access to others adapters such as occilation monitoring, bad data detection and calculated points, the Open PDC provides facilities to do that.   The OpenPDC has been sponsored by NERC and there are a number of Utilities that are using or planning on using it to support low latency systems of up to 400 PMU devices.

Hope this help

Scott

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. For now, there will be two kinds of applications: 1. Read Phasor Data from PMUs (Not much, maybe 5-6) 2. Connect SEL-421 to RTDS, and run simulations and collect data, do modal analysis etc.

Safak.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Safak,

I am assuming that the communication to RTDS is via c37.118 format?   If so then I cannot imagine that you will have any issues with the OpenPDC, and like you mentioned the cost cannot be beat.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Scott,

That's correct, it will be C37.118. I guess I have to explore openPDC website more.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Both SEL-5073 and OpenPDC do the same stuff, except that OpenPDC can give a detailed analysis report of the data received and sent. I am working on the same project, but i am facing some problems of latency because of using both OpenPDC and SEL5073. But you won't face it if you're doing it for analysis purpose in your lab.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

hi im new with this topic as well and Im trying to read syncrophasors data of my SEL421 in real time with c37.118 but i can not get this data from the PMU how can i get it using openPDC?? 

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

kmilo8712 - I suggest using the PMU connection tester (available in the openPDC installer) to get a connection to the 421.   The tester is much simpler that OpenPDC.  The issues will most likely be networking between the device and the connection tester.   That is assuming that your 421 is set up to stream 37.118 properly.
Jul 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

right now im trying to connect my SEL 421 with openPDC tester but i cannot connect it and i already set up ip address and port  how can i connect it?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM

kmilo8712 - Are you using TCP, UDP or UDP_T for the transmission.   That will make a difference in how you connect.  What errors are you getting?  

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

im using TCP and the error is bad ip address.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM

and other one is trying to make a socket operation in an unavailable network

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Go into settings and check if force IPV4 is set to true.  If you want to use a IPV4 address you should use this set to true.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM

ok, i already connect my SEL 421 with PMU connection tester  but how can i get  this protocol?, cauze i need to export this data to a web page 

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

at the end of the pmu connection tester show real time frame detail, so i need to get this frame how can i get it?  but in real time

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

There are a numebr of ways to get teh data through OpenPDC and to a web page.

I would suggest that you use the publish/subscribe functionality in OpenPDC.   You can build an applicaiotn that can request signals from the OpenDPC and it will feed a real time stream.    However it is unliekly that you will be able to build a web page that can handle data coming at 30 frames per second and update for each frame received.  you will likely need to batch up 5 seconds or so and push it in chunks to the web page. 

Not sure what your final requirements are and what skill sets you have so very hard to give any more detail.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM

hi sstapels, have you seen device to data in 5 steps??? this is that i need, but with some changes,   the main changes is I need this steps but in real time  with IEEE c37.118 via tcp/ip

thanks for your help

regards

kmilo

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM

kmilo,

Have you considered accessing the data through the OpenPDC historian web service? If you're building a web application, you can write javascript to load data in XML or JSON from the OpenPDC historian web service. You can see the help for the webservice and a list of its available methods from the URL http://localhost:6052/historian/help. You can make a call to get a batch of data from the URL http://localhost:6052/historian/timeseriesdata/read/historic/{idList}/{startTime}/{endTime}/json. That call may allow you to load a batch of JSON data, which is especially easy to parse in JavaScript.

I think sstapels is onto something as well, but this is another option to consider depending on your skill set. I'll repeat the reminder that you probably won't get actual real-time data for a 30Hz stream, but you can still probably poll pretty quickly.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM

rmccoy - completly agree - for a web page the web services would be much easier to implement

As for the connection string, it will depend on how you have the PMU set up.   I suggest using TCP for both the command channel as well as the data channel.   In OpenPDC you need to define both the command and the data port.