This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

web.config file?

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM
Edited Aug 31, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Hi. Sorry for what's probably a newbie question, but, hey, I'm a newbie!

I'm in the Configuration section of the "How to use OpenPDC Manager" document, having successfully (I think) installed OpenPDC using the installer.I previously installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (also, I hope and think, successfully).

In the "Changing the Base Service URL" section it says, "If you used the installers, you will need to modify the "web.config" file in the openPDCManager (this is different from "web.config" in the openPDCManagerServices) to point to the correct services URL...", but the only web.config files I find are not in with OpenPDC Manager but in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG, and they don't seem to be the ones you're talking about.

In the meantime, if I try to run the OpenPDC Manager, I get a warning message:

OpenPDC Manager :: Access Denied
Error loading security provider: Failed to open data connection -
check "Connection String" in configuration file: 'C:\Program Data
\openPDC\openPDC.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the
path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the
server on which the file resides.
OK

There seem to recall a step along the way where I thought we were telling openPDC that it would be using SQL Server not Access, but the "mdb" implies it's looking for Access. ?

Can you spot my error? Thanks!

Steve Sturgill at SRP

Edit to add that I searched for the word "BaseServiceUrl" (the key whose value needs to be changed in the "web.config" file I'm after) in files on my local hard drives, but the search came up empty.

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Are you trying to install the web based openPDC Manager? If the GUI based version will suffice, the setup wizard will walk you through this process.

The web based manager is a little more detailed to setup (hence your errors above). Note that anytime you are using Access as a database you will need proper access to the folder - in the case of the web based installed this means the IIS user will need read/write access to the Access folder.

When using the web based openPDC Manager it is much easier to deploy with a real database like SQL Server.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Thanks Richie.

Yeah, I avoided Access and went with SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. I'm having to multi-task this thing so I'm probably making even more mistakes than I usually make. Let me know if I start wearing out my welcome!

Thanks again Richie.

Steve

Developer
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM

if you installed OpenPDC and MSSQL Express second what you might have to do is (see steps 1-5):

-------------------(Getting Started with openPDC)

Setting up a SQL Server database

Microsoft SQL Server Express database engine and Management Studio are available for free from the Microsoft Download Center. If Visual Studio is installed, SQL Server Express may have been installed during the Visual Studio installation. You can also download and install SQL Server Express and Management Studio together. Below are links to the current SQL Server 2008 R2 Express downloads.

Note: Before you execute openPDC.sql, you may want to make note that beginning on line 67 are instructions on how to modify the script to create a new user with access to the openPDC database.

1. Launch SQL Server Management Studio Express, and connect to your database server.
  2. In the toolbar, go to "File > Open > File..."
  3. If you used the installers, navigate to the installation directory and go to "Database Scripts\SQL Server". Otherwise, navigate to "SOURCEDIR\Synchrophasor\Current Version\Source\Data\SQL Server", select "openPDC.sql", and select "Open" (SOURCEDIR is the directory where you extracted the openPDC source code files).
  4. In the toolbar, go to "Query > Execute".
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 with the files "InitialDataSet.sql" and "SampleDataSet.sql" in the same directory.

Now skip ahead to modifying the configuration file.

-------------------------(Getting Started with openPDC)

Only after configuration above is done go to documentation "How to use OpenPDC Manager" and:

-------------------------(How to use OpenPDC Manager)

Installation

The GUI based openPDC Manager application is installed with the openPDC itself. No additional setup is required. If you are using the GUI based openPDC Manager, please skip ahead to Run the openPDC Manager.

The web based openPDC Manager must be installed separately. There are two ways to install the web based openPDC Manager. The following subsections will explain what you need and how to install it.

-----------------------(How to use OpenPDC Manager)

You probably will see login menu.

dk.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Thanks dk.

Apparently I failed to maintain the distinction between the GUI-based and the web-based managers. When I started out, after having (I thought) looked at the Getting Started doc enough to proceed, my intent was to keep things as simple as possible but to avoid the limitations of using Access. I first installed SQL Server, then installed OpenPDC.

Somewhere along the way I guess I got sidetracked and started trying to perform steps intended for the web based manager. This didn't work of course, thus my confused post above.

Now I've installed the web based manager so I'll probably keep going since my perception is that the web based manager might make life somewhat somewhat easier down the road. Even if not, though, it's probably a useful exercise.

With any luck my next post will be about how I've got half a dozen PMUs connected and logging data. ;>)

Thanks again! Steve