This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Late Night Diversion - SynchroPhasor TV

Developer
Sep 15, 2011 at 4:19 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Just a late night diversion that is somewhat off-topic ... I put an Axis webcam on one of my experimental PMUs for a while.

The link is:   SynchroPhasor TV   The User Name and Password are both "pmu"

I consider this version of "SynchroPhasor TV" to be a failed attempt - video quality wise; but it was a fun diversion from work B-)   I can't promise how long I will keep it on-line maybe a couple days?

Can anyone recommend good and simple (and hopefully free) LIVE screen capture with network streaming software?

Also, if anyone is interested in testing some cross-Internet networking with openPDC, openPG, and data, contact me off-line through my profile so we can work out the rules of engagement.  These tests will be for research and development only.

Arnold

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Have you tried the Microsoft Media Encoder (I think it's called expression encoder these days), it will do live audio and video streaming (for free).

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Encoder4_Overview.aspx

Thanks!
Ritchie

Developer
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.  I just diverted a few hours and gave it a try.

I downloaded and installed the Expression 4 Ulitimate Trial and then Encoder 4 SP1 to get the Screen Capture codec.  I was disapointed. 

The "gotcha" is:  to stream through IIS Media Server Encoding requires the Full Featured Professional Expression Encoder version to produce, so it isn't free unless remote users are viewing the output of the Encoder on the PC running the capture.  According to the info, the Pro version is not included in MSDN (though I didn't verify this).  OK, I can live with that - if it will work and is useful, it would be worth the cost.  The second disappointment, that's the show stopper, is the 10 to 30 seconds latency between the actual screen and what is displayed to the viewer - and that was using the same workstation that was being captured.  I'm sure the latency increases when pushing the stream through a remote server.

My conclusion is the Expression Encoder is probably great for recorded media and maybe streaming media where latency is not important.  There may be tricks to reducing the latency to an acceptable level, but it is beyond my expertise with the product.

I think openPDC's live charts are more appropriate for displaying live data.  The disadvantage is that the openPDC software needs to be installed and technically configured for people to view the charts from remote sensors.  I think it would be great to have simple streaming live media available for multiple platform players - including mobile phones, etc.

Since the "SynchroPhasor TV Show" was just a fun diversion (its ratings aren't so good either), I'll bail out of the TV sub project.

Arnold

FYI:  Tonight's episode is the PMU Connection Tester