This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Communication standard

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Hello everybody,

I am curious about the possible IEEE C37.118 interpretations from different parties, e.g. PMU manufactures and Phasor Concentrators manufacturers.

Let’s say: when openPDC developers implemented the communication stack, they based their implementation on the IEEE standard. Probably they made a simple software (a sort of virtual PMU) only to test the communication with openPDC.

Now comes my doubt. Is it possible to a manufacturer to implement correctly their communication stack based on the same standard, and their PMU don’t communicate with openPDC?

What I am trying to see is if it is possible for two independent parties to implement correctly the communication stack, but even though, their equipment do not communicate.

Best regards,

Renan

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

For new protocols it takes some time to work out the inter-operability issues. IEEE C37.118 is luckily mature enough the manufactures have enough to time to test with other vendor products to help wih compatibility.

Open source tools and implementations (e.g., the PMU Connection Tester) can often help with this process since a third-party tool that is already working with multiple vendor products can be a good sign that your implementation is working as well.

Thanks!
Ritchie