This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Command line capabilities

Developer
Mar 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Hello!

OpenPDC Manager is a powerful tool to configure the openPDC Windows service, but I am interested in replicating one particular functionality from the command line.

GUI -> Devices -> Input Wizard => 3 easy steps to get my data:
Step 1: I specify the connection string and ID
Step 2: I click the Request configuration button
Step 3: Click Next and Finish and there you have it, live data into the GUI->Home->Graph Measurements

So all I am doing is specify the connection string and ID and openPDC takes care of the rest. Isn't there a way to do this from command line ? If there isn't, shouldn't it be ? Why should I be forced to access the sometimes unstable GUI to do that ? Moreover, why should I be forced to connect to a Remote Graphical Administration Interface to be able to do that ?

To conclude, can I add a PMU from text commands sent to the running openPDC Windows service and if yes, how ?

Many thanks!

Alex
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM
This code is in a DLL used by the openPDC Manager that can generally be invoked from an application to this task. The issue is the application (in your suggestion the remote console monitor sending commands to the openPDC) will need access to the database to store the configuration.

The openPDC service can be setup to run without access to the database - so it doesn't necessarily have this functionality built in, but it could, at least when a database is the primary configuration.

Some users have written a web service that utilities the openPDC Manager API to perform this task...

Thanks,
Ritchie