This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

save data from PPA historic to a remote location

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Hi. I'm trying to save the PPA historic to a remote location, but it's not working well. It works ok if I use any local drive or partition (C:\ , D:\ , etc.), but it fails if I try use some drive mapped to another computer, to "Y:\Archieve", for example, with "Y:" mapped to a network resource "\server2\openpdc". I can access the remote drive normally, the permissions seem not to be the problem. I tried to start the openPDC service with the "Administrator" account, used to map the network resource, without success.

The error showed in the StatusLog.txt is:

[9/11/2013 6:50:32 PM] [PPA] Connection attempt failed: Could not find a part of the path 'Y:\Archive\'.

I changed the related sessions in the openPDC.Config.exe file ("FileName" field in ppaArchieveFile, ppaIntercomFile, ppaMetadataFile and ppaStateFile) with XML Configuration Editor. The problem happens just with mapped resources; if I just change the letter to a local drive, everything works fine.

I searched this subject in the forum, and found these related topics:

https://openpdc.codeplex.com/discussions/257963
https://openpdc.codeplex.com/discussions/389813

but didn't find answers!

Do you know if there is some restriction to use a mapped drive to save the PPA historic?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Hello MNAgostini,

The openPDC service runs as the "Local System" account in v1.5 and the "NT SERVICE\openPDC" account in v2.0. Since mapped drives are specific to a the account that mapped them, neither of these accounts can access any drives you've mapped under your user account (or the "Administrator" account, as the case may be). Furthermore, since services run at system startup while drive mappings are established at login, it's not typically a good idea to use a drive mapping to access your UNC share from within a service. A better approach would be to specify the UNC path itself (\\server\share...) to get to the archive location. In order to access the share, you will need to run the service as a different account; one that has access to the share as well as read/write access to the openPDC installation directory.

Stephen