This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Input stream stopped working

Developer
Dec 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Hi,
I receive 2 different input streams composed by 22 and 8 PMUs (let's name them PDC_1 and PDC_2). Some how PDC_1 stopped working. PDC_2 is still fine. There is no problem with the original stream. I used Wireshark and the stream is there. I did another test. I disabled PDC_1 and using Devices-> Input Wizard, I created a new input stream (PDC_1.temp) with only 1 PMU active (out of the 22). The input stream worked fine.

I thought to disable PDC_1 and create a new input stream, but I think if I do this, openPDC will create a new HistorianID to each measurement and then I will loose the reference to my old data.

So here comes my question. How can I debug my input stream in order to understand why it has stopped working?

Best,

Renan
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Does it work with connection tester when disabled in openPDC?

Odd that it would stop working all of a sudden.

Check task manager for possible multiple instances of the openPDC service - maybe one instance did not shut down completely and still has the port opened.

Have you tried rebooting the host machine? May be the port is in use by another application, you can check this by running the following from a command prompt:
netstat -a
Thanks,
Ritchie
Developer
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Ritchie,
   Does it work with connection tester when disabled in openPDC? 

YES
   Check task manager for possible multiple instances of the openPDC service - maybe one instance did not shut down completely and still has the port opened.

Checked. Only one instance.
   Have you tried rebooting the host machine?

YES
   Maybe the port is in use by another application,

Netstat -a doesn't show the port is used. And since Connection Tester worked fine, no other process is holding it.
Any other ideas? Is the input stream logged to a log file where I can check what is going on?

Renan
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Hi Renan,

The openPDC Console might be able to shed some light on what's going on. I would suggest disabling the connection to PDC_1, start the openPDC Console, then enable the connection to PDC_1 and watch the messages carefully for any warnings or errors that scroll by related to PDC_1. If everything seems to work fine, then typing 'list PDC_1' into the console should provide a status report that may also help troubleshoot this issue.

Stephen
Developer
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Hello,

I did:

list PDC_1:
Parsed Frame Quality Statistics                        

Device                  Bad Data   Bad Time    Frame      Total    Last Report
 Name                    Frames     Frames     Errors     Frames      Time
---------------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------
01_ILS_BAU                 0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
02_BAU_ILS_2               0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
03_BAU_CAV_1               0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
04_CAV_BAU_1               0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
05_CAV_BOJ                 0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
QRDP                       0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
RDP_CAV                    0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
RDP_BAU                    0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233
ARARAQUARA                 0          0          0        60800    18:03:32.233

Undefined devices encountered: 0
One thing I am observing now... if I go to Monitoring -> Device Measurements, it shows

PPA:904 Araraquara Frequency Delta (dF/dt) 18:11:48.033 NaN
PPA:903 Araraquara Frequency 18:11:48.033 NaN Hz

So I understand it is receiving the synchrophasor, showing its time stamp, but not the associated values. Any ideas why?

Renan

PS. There is no problem with the original stream. I disabled PDC_1 and executed Connection Tester. It shows all PMUs and all measurement values correctly.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM
This usually indicates an ID code mismatch. Can you verify that device ID code (or access ID as it may be labeled) match what's in the configuration frame?

Thanks,
Ritchie
Developer
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Nope,
ID code in openPDC matches the ID code in the configuration frame (checked using Connection Tester).

Renan
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Have you tried updating the device configuration?

If you browse devices, to the right of the PDC connection there will be an icon that looks like a gear with a pencil over it. If you hold your mouse over the icon it says "Update Configuration".

When you click this it will walk you through getting an updated configuration from the device - this keeps all your existing measurement IDs where possible. This step will "update" the configuration in the openPDC to match what's in the configuration file.

Good to do this when the source configuration ever changes.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Ritchie