This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What does OpenPDC Record?

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Hi all,

I'm apart of a team that is trying to create a Smart Grid. This is an interdisciplinary team. With me being on the more IT aspect of the team, I am very lost with the Electrical Engineering portion of it all. The team wants me to create a database for what OpenPDC records. I read through the manual and I still have trouble grasping openPDC. I'm going to be using SQLServer to record the data OpenPDC retrieves. So what I want to know is this:

If I were to create table for the OpenPDC, what would the attributes would they be? What data does OpenPDC record?

Thank you all for your help!
Developer
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:46 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM
The beauty of openPDC being open source is that you can find a lot of information right in the openPDC.codeplex.com's SOURCE CODE. The source code is well commented.

For example: The openPDC SQL Server schema and sample data can be found in the following source code folder:

Open the SOURCE CODE tab above, then drill down the Files tree
Synchrophasor
-- Current Version
---- Source
------ Data
-------- SQL Server

A good overview of the data structures stored by openPDC can be found by clicking the DOCUMENTATION tab in openPDC.codeplex.com, in the Developer's Documentation select the High Level Code Structure and Class Relationships link, then in the About the Code page, select the Phasor Protocol Relationship Diagrams link to navigate to the diagrams.

A good kick-start reference I personally found handy for understanding the data being transmitted and stored is the IEEE C37.118 specification's Message formats. I cannot post those here as it might violate IEEE copyright restrictions. However, if you are implementing a synchrophasor measurement system, the IEEE C37.118 specification is a great reference of the fundamentals.

//AJ