This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Output Stream on VM Locks up CPU

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hello,

I am running an installation of openPDC on a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 VM.  I used the provided installers for v1.1 and a MySQL database. The software connects to my devices correctly and processes the incoming data.

The problem is when a Concentrator Output Stream is added.  After adding an output stream and restarting the openPDC service the CPU usage goes up to 100% and the system becomes unresponsive during the openPDC initialization process.  The last status message printed in the console window before locking up is "Database configuration connection closed.".  I am not getting any error messages through the console. If the same output stream is disabled openPDC runs correctly again.  This same thing happens when I use the Sample Data Set (the system locks up unless the output stream is disabled).

Has this problem been encountered before, if so what are the causes?

Thanks,

Jason Bank

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

We have seem issues on VM or single process machines related to the process priority. Try change reducing the assigned process priority in the configuration file, it is set to "RealTime" by default. FYI, we don't recommend running the PDC in a VM for production - but this should be fine for testing.  Here is the setting of interest in the openPDC.exe.Config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
   <systemSettings>
     <add name="ProcessPriority" value="RealTime" description="Sets desired process priority: Normal, AboveNormal, High, RealTime" encrypted="false" />

Also - you may want to try the 1.2 August release - thanks!

Ritchie

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.