This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

question about connecting FDR with openPDC

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Hello, there

My name is Ye Zhang. I am a graduate student from the FNET Lab of UTK under the supervision of Dr.Liu. I started to configure PMU connection tester/openPDC to connect our FDRs these days and got some issues I don't quite know how to solve.

1.  In PMU connection tester, after defining the correct port and protocol, the connection tester got connected to the specific FDR(msg showed "connected to device...local server started...listening for...".  But one exception kept poping at Messages part: Exception: Bad data stream, did not find stop byte 0x00 in F-NET frame. However, when I forced clicking on "Graph" panel, I can actually see some curves going on. I don't quite understand what is wrong.

2. In the openPDC Manager, I used the same connection string for PMU connection tester, however I cannot make the connection. In the "System Console", it kept showing" attempting connection". I am wondering, if the connection could be established in PMU connection tester, it should mean the connection setting is correct, right? Then, why we can't make connection in openPDC Manager? And also, no errors were generated while attempting connection.

Thank you so much for reply in advance! I really appreciate that!

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Is there anyway you can send a sample of the data set for analysis? This way we can make sure the protcol parser is working as expected.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Dear Ritchie!

Greetings from the land of the polar bears... we have a little "dusting" of snow in Stockholm.

I have made several tests about this issue which I have been facing since August with our colleague Moustafa, for a little while we managed to get it working by putting the FDR in TCP Client mode, but we had to reconfigure it to TCP Server mode because UT requested this.

Two tests are available:

1. Tests with the PMU Connection Tester.

2. Tests with the openPDC configuration wizard and device manager.

Configuration, capture, and status log files are included in an embedded .zip file in the MS Word doc. Please download from:

http://www.etk.ee.kth.se/personal/vanfretti/temp/2010_LV_KTH_FDR_Nov24_Tests.docx

I would like to thank you again for all the efforts put into this very nice open source software, it is great to have the freedom to actually work with the data without proprietary restrictions.

All the best,

Luigi

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

FYI - I am hoping that the nightly build has a fix for the F-NET issue listed above.

Please let me know if it is better.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Dear Ritchie,

I am happy to report that there are no further issues with the PMU Connection Tester and the FDR. Please see the following successful connection screenshot.

http://www.etk.ee.kth.se/personal/vanfretti/temp/00_fdr_dec07_test_pmuconntester.tiff

We recently updated the openPDC from the Nightly Build on last Saturday. However, the issue with the openPDC still remains.

The error is the same as before in openPDC Manager, which is occurs when loading the connection file saved from the PMU Connection tester. 

We believe that openPDC manager cannot parse the connection string from the connection settings, probably you need to update the object (openPDCManager.Data.BusinessObjects.ConnectionSettingstimeOffset) in openPDC manager, see the following screenshot:

http://www.etk.ee.kth.se/personal/vanfretti/temp/00_fdr_dec07_test_openPDC.tiff

Thank you for your feedback!

Luigi