This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

configure openPDC with data file from real system

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Hello:

we are from WSU, and we are doing some oscillation detection analysis with the help of openPDC.

We first get a file called "SampleData.PmuCapture" from real power system. this file contains PMU data from several devices, which are all in C37.118 format. Following the instruction on your website, we first input that data file to "PMU connection Tester", and generate the "Connection File" and "Configuration File". And then we use openPDCManager to deal with the connection and configuration files, save the configuration information into database.

The problem is that, when we check the "Device" table in the database, we found that there are 14 devices, and they all have the same connection string "TransportationProtocol=File; file=E:\Research\WSU OMS DEMO\SampleData.PmuCapture".

I think, based on the configuration above, after openPDC starts, it builds 14 data channels, wants each channel to read data from a single device seperately. But actually, all these channels connect to the same data source which has the data for all these 14 devices, which is not what we expected.

And I check the files generated under the "ConfigurationCache" folder. I know that when input adapter receives the configuration frame, it will serialize it into files under this folder. I see 14 files, each file corresponds to one device. The problem is that, except the "<timestamp>" section, all these 14 files are same. This means all 14 devices send out the same configuration frame, their "idCode" are all 235, and each configuration frame contains 75 cells (isn't it too many for a single concentrator?). I don't think it sounds correct for PMU data coming from real system.

It seems that there is something wrong with our configuration process. I guess there must be some preconditions if we want to configure openPDC from a data file. I guess the preconditions should be:
1. the data file must contain configuration frame.
2. the data file must contain only one configuration frame (NOT considering the case that configuration frame will be changed later). This means the PMU data in the file must be from a single raw device or a single concentrator.

I don't know whether my guess is correct, and please give me some instruction, Thank you very much. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

After I posted this problem, I read your document carefully once again.

Perhaps, openPDCManager can deal with data file which contains data from multiple devices. But for this kind of file, we must check the checkbox "Connection is to Concentrator".

Am I correct this time?

Please give me some advices, thank you very much.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM

That is correct. Anytime configuration file contains more than one device, check "Connection is to Concentrator" checkbox. Then define PDC acronym, name and vendor. The latest version of openPDC manager checks that box automatically if config file has more than one devices.

Thanks,
Mehul

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Thank you for your answer.

I think, it would be better to stress this point in your documentation.