This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

OpenPDC service will not start

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Hi,  

I recently opened up the openPDC manager(v1.4.110)  to find that the manager was aparently disconnected from the openPDC service.   The console says "Connecting to tcp://localhost:5800..."  repeatedly. 

So I went to the windows services, found openPDC and told it to start.   It tried and then gave this message  "The openPDC service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service"

I then checked out the Windows Event Viewer and found an OpenPDC error message.   See the message below: 

Service cannot be started. System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String category, String counter, Boolean& categoryExists)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String machine, String category, String counter)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName)

at TVA.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, String aliasName, String valueUnit, Single ...

I have the manager configured with a PMU input, the connection and config files for which I created with PMU connection tester.   I made sure to disconnect PMU connection tester from the PMU before opening the manager.  This has worked in the past.  Any ideas?

Should I just try uninstalling and installing again?

Thanks,

Jeff 

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Someone else once had this problem as well - it had to do with corrupted settings in the Windows registry related to the performance counters.  See if any of these prior recommendations help:

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/discussions/247310

Thanks!
Ritchie

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hi Ritchie,

So I'm on Windows XP and noticed this from that windows help page that you included a link for:

"On a computer that is running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP, the Lodctr /R:<<var>filename</var>> command is the standard method to restore performance counter registry strings and information by using a file name"

The problem is that I'm not sure which file name/names to enter here.  Sorry if this is getting too far off base from OpenPDC. 

Thanks,

Jeff