This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Built my first input adapter...how view measurements?

May 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

For learning purposes, I've created a small input adapter that sends the frequency graph of a wav file indicated in the settings. I've unit tested it, and defined it using openPDC Manager/Adapters/Input Adapters. When I initialize the adapter, I see correct status messages in the console application. All good.

Now a couple questions:

1) I now want to view the measurements graphically in the Manager app. How do I do that?

2) What is the relationship (if any) between the input adapter and a measurement as defined in the openPDC Manager/Manage/Measurements?

Thanks much,

Doug

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Calculated measurements will show up in their own section in the openPDC Manager on the graph measurements screen. You can also assocaited the output measurements being calculated with a paticular device, then the measurements will show on the graph associated with this device.

If you add a PMU device it will automatically associate the measurements with the source device. But you can associate a measurement with any device or no device - the relationship is fo convience in modeling and displaying data.

Some people even create dummy devices (basically select the device protocol as "Virtual Device") then associate their calculated points with this device for convienence.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Sorry to revive this, but how exactly can you associate a virtual device's phasors, analogs, digitals, etc. with the measurements coming from an input adapter?
Thanks,
Paul
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM
On the measurements screen select a device form the drop down and save the record...
Apr 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Are there more steps after the "..."?

What you suggest will associate measurements with physical devices, but what I asked about were virtual devices, which do not show up in that drop down list.

As I was trying to figure this out 7 weeks ago, I've since discovered the solution. For anyone interested, this is what to do:
  1. Add the desired measurements to your output stream containing the virtual device(s)
  2. Edit the Signal Reference for each measurement in the form [virtual device name]-[channel type][index]
Where the possible channel types are:

PM for phasor magnitude
PA for phasor angle
DV for digital value

For example, if my virtual device's name is "MYDEVICE" and I want to associate its 2nd phasor's magnitude with a measurement, I would change that measurement's Signal Reference to the following:

MYDEVICE-PM2

Paul