This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Getting Calculated Values into the Graph Measurements in Open PDC Manager

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Respected All, 

I am a new user of Open PDC and trying to make simple custom adapters. I was unable to find any documentation which shows a complete roadmap from making custom adapter and showing those calculated measurements on the Graph Measurments in Open PDC Manager. 

I have just tried one of the custom adapter (Sample Data Simulator) http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Two%20Custom%20Adapter%20Examples&referringTitle=Documentation

I am able to build this in Visual Studio. I have copied the relevant .dll files to the main directory of Open PDC. In the document it is stated that “Select Calculated Measurements in the Adapter Tab”. However I can only see input, output and action adapter here (no option for calculated measurement). However in Action Adapter Tab I can see that the newly created SampleDataSimulator.dll file is available. I have enabled and initialized it. But still in the graph measurements I cannot see the sample data. It would be nice if someone can explain it a bit and can guide me how to bring this data on the Graph Measurments in Open PDC Manager. 

Regards,

Almas

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Almas,

The answer to your question comes in two parts.

Part 1. Create the custom adapter which outputs some measurements.

Part 2. Create a Virtual Device to map those newly created measurements to.

The tutorial that you are referring to in the post will only tell you have to do the first step. If you then want to view those measurements in the 'Graph Measurements' GUI you will need to map those measurements to a Virtual Device. The only measurements that show up in the 'Graph Measurements' GUI are those that are associated with some device in the openPDC (This may not always be the case but it is my understanding and it is how I accomplish what you are asking). The Virtual Device that I am speaking of will act as a placeholder for you to send the newly created measurements to.

First you will need to create a new device to serve as the Virtual Device I am speaking of. Here are some directions.

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manager%20Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation#create_devices

In order to make it a 'Virtual Device' you will select 'Virtual Device' under the 'Protocols' Tab. This is basically all you need to do besides specifying the required parameters that are mentioned in the above link.

Now that you have created a virtual device you will need to add measurements to it. You can imagine these measurements as the placeholders for each of the values that you will be creating with your custom adapter. Imagine that you are creating a bullseye or target on a wall for you to throw the created values at. You will accomplish this by adding phasors. When you create phasors to add to your device, a magnitude measurement and an angle measurement is automatically created for you.

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manager%20Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation#create_phasors

You can also create other types of measurements besides magnitudes and angles.

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manager%20Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation#create_measurements

Once you have accomplished this, you will navigate the the 'Measurements' page for your virtual device. On the leftmost column of the table at the bottom of the page you will see the HistorianID associated with that measurement. It will be in the format 'SomeText:123'. The HistorianIDs that show up in this table can be used in the 'OutputMeasurements' parameter on the 'CalculatedMeasurements' Adapters page or any adapter page for that matter. This is how you will specify where to send the values that your custom adapter creates. You can read more about this in the documentation or specifically in the tutorial that you included in your post. If you have successfully created your adapter and successfully completed these steps then you should be able to see a graph of your measurements in the 'Graph Measurements' page.

Kevin