This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Refactoring from Threads to Tasks

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Hi,

I am a second-year PhD student in computer science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am working on refactoring tools for parallelism in C#.

Our refactoring tool converts Thread usages to corresponding Task constructs. This transformation will open the gate to new features (async/await, Parallel class, PLINQ) for the application. After this transformation, the refactoring tool searches Task usages which are able to use Parallel.For(Each), and Parallel.Invoke.

I found many opportunities in openpdc project. If you consider, I and my refactoring tool can transform suitable Thread constructs to corresponding Task constructs. Do you accept these kind of transformations as patches in openpdc? Your answer is quite important because one of the way demonstrating our tool is to show how many patches are accepted.

Thanks,
Semih Okur
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Hi there - we carefully review any "patches" that are posted and will integrate any code that we deem an improvement or correction over the baseline code.

We would welcome any input you might have and would look forward to such a patch.

Thanks!
Ritchie