This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Question about Action Adapters

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Im writing a custom action adapter that would perform the same operation on many phasors. It could potentially be a computationally intensive. Would it be benefical for me to design my adapter to handle an unlimited number of phasors or a single phasor and then create many action adapters?

I was thinking that it would be beneficial from a performance perspective (data quality and latency) to use many adapters with either a single phasor as input/output or just a few phasors as input. I do this same strategy for naming convention mapping and phase angle rotation.

From the perspective of the PDC, is it just whichever I prefer? or is there a substantial performance boost from splitting the load?

Thanks,
Kevin
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Multiple adapters may not be the best solution - it would buy you parallel processing through distribution of work load but at the high cost of configuration for each adapter.

Remember you can use threading or the parallel processing natives within .NET to distribute processing within a single adapter.

If you are operating on a single phasor, filter expressions like the following will make sure your angle and magnitude are sorted "together" in the input signals:
FILTER ActiveMeasurements WHERE SignalType='*PH*' ORDER BY PhasorID
Then you could use a parallel for-each to operate on many phasors at once on different threads within a single adapter using a single function.

Just thoughts - there are pros and cons to each solution.

Thanks,
Ritchie
Dec 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Are there any adapters in the existing source code which use threading or parallel processing natives?
Kevin