This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

OpenPDC client: can send data to another program without GUI?

May 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Edited May 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Hello all. I'm working on a project that will use an OpenPDC server as a data concentrator for multiple PMUs. The goal is to request data of a single or multiple PMUs to the OpenPDC server from remote, by a command line program, using the protocol C37.118. Is it possible to do it directly? If not, can I start and communicate with a OpenPDC client without a GUI?

Thank you in advance.
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Hello MarcoSulla,

While it's not impossible to configure and interact with the openPDC without using a GUI, the configuration can be very complex, and the intricacies are not well documented. The openPDC Manager greatly simplifies a lot of the configuration, and it would be difficult to operate the openPDC without it.

If your concern is about installing the openPDC on a server that does not have a GUI, note that it is possible to set up the openPDC Manager to run on a separate system from the openPDC.

If your intent is to script specific functions in the openPDC, we may be able to point you in the right direction with some more information.

Thanks,
Stephen
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Thank you Staphen. I played a little with openPDC, PMU Simulator (an iPDC tool) and PMU Connection Tester. Now I think the better idea is to connect openPDC to all the PMUs, and send a configuration frame request and a data request command to the PMUs I need.

The problem is the only clients I know that can read C37.118 are PMU Connection Tester and iPDC. iPDC is more compatible to my goals, but the customer of my project wants PMU Connection Tester.

It seems PMU Connection Tester can't be used by command line or using a REST API. So it seems I have to use part of its code to create a simple library. Do you know if there are simpler options?
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:31 PM
I'm still not sure I understand what it is you're trying to do, but what you want is a command line API to send commands to PMUs which are connected to the openPDC, right? It sounds like the openPDC Console is what you want.
List

System Uptime: 3 minutes 6 seconds

>> All defined adapters in Input Adapter Collection (1 total)

ID     Name
---------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
    8      MYPMU
             >> Awaiting configuration frame - 0 bytes received
Invoke MYPMU SendCommand SendConfigurationFrame2

Command "SendCommand" successfully invoked.
List

System Uptime: 4 minutes 9 seconds

ID     Name
    8      MYPMU
             ** No data mapped, check configuration - 414 bytes received
Invoke MYPMU SendCommand EnableRealTimeData

List

System Uptime: 4 minutes 15 seconds

ID     Name
    8      MYPMU
                 Up for 2.1 minutes, 0 errors 06/02/2016 12:19:30.000 27.20 fps
Invoke MYPMU SendCommand DisableRealTimeData

List

System Uptime: 4 minutes 39 seconds

ID     Name
    8      MYPMU
                  Up for 2.5 minutes, 0 errors 06/02/2016 12:19:41.833 0.00 fps