This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

openPDC configuration

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Hey Pinal,

My goal is to send c37118 (protocol 5) data to openPDC and receive the same output from the openPDC to PmuConnectionTester.
My simulator(Ercot-PC37118Simulator) is sending 3 devices data (Matador, Nelson and Ajo) each having 2 phasors and 3 digitals.
When I simply connect the simulator to PmuConnectionTester, it works fine. But not with openPDC.

This is what I did..

1.Created new nodeId in Node table.
2.copied the nodeId to openPDC.exe.config file.
3.Used the nodeId in Device table with protocol 5 and connection string transportProtocol=Udp; port=8989.

When I send data to port 8989 using my simulator, openPDC console says " Configuration frame received" 3 Devices in configuration frame (Matador, Nelson and Ajo) and 2 Undefined devices Nelson and Ajo .

4.used the nodeId in Output Stream table- data channel-Port=0;Clients=localhost:8800 and command channel -Port=8900;Interface=0.0.0.0

when I try to receive this output using PmuConnectionString, I just receive configuration frame and not continuous stream.
(Tried configuring local historian table but couldn't able to get the output-NodeID ID Acronym Name AssemblyName TypeName ConnectionString IsLocal Description LoadOrder Enabled
{F29EEAC1-2304-4F18-B307-753C4E50E7F5} 1 OutputHist Historian1 HistorianAdapters.dll HistorianAdapters.LocalOutputAdapter  -1  0 -1 )

Please let me know what else I need to do.  I appreciate your help.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Hi, I'm not Pinal, but I think you should read this link, it will clarify things.

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manual%20Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation

Regards,

Luiz Henrique

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM

So is it must to know what data the input device is sending? and openPDC doesn't read the configuration frame sent from the input device automatically?

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I did it manually.

If it does automatically I don´t known and it's not in the texts I´ve read.

Regards,

Luiz Henrique

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM

The system could be configured to do automatic configuration – but this is *not recommended*. In general, I wouldn’t recommend this for *any* PDC even if it supports it.  Here’s why:

By having a “human in-the-loop” during configuration you add system intelligence that's not available in the protocol's like phasor classification (positive, negative, zero sequence or A/B/C phase), correction of limited and usually faulty field device labeling and validation of desired measurements to collect (e.g., do you want to collect and archive all digitals and analogs configured in your device?). Additionally, device data many times needs “adjustment”, e.g., line-to-line / line-to-neutral adjustments of phasor magnitudes.

Hope that helps...

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Thank you very much...

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM

FYI - please take a look at the latest openPDC Manager code. This management tool will greatly simplify system configuration, here is a link to the documentation for this: http://openpdc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manager%20Configuration&referringTitle=Documentation