This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Add signals to SignalType table

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Hello, first of all I want to thank you for this fantastical effort. My name is Ramon Leon, I am in charge of the SIRENA project at XM S.A. (www.xm.com.co), the Colombian ISO in Medellín, Colombia. The project aims to develop and deploy a WAMS/WACS using PMU technology. We are reviewing OpenPDC among other tools for the PDC function and we have had some collaboration with UFSC, Brasil (Marcelo Agostini).

We have downloaded the source code for revision 39631 and we are in the process of configuring the database with the information of our devices. One of our PMU devices works by sending data in rectangular format and that format is not supported in the SignalType table. Can we add this format to the SignalType Table as Voltage Real, Voltage Imaginary, Current Real and Current Imaginary, without affecting the functionality of OpenPDC?

We appreciate your effort, we hope we can support it once we can get aqcuainted with the project.

Best Regards,

Ramon Leon

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Hi Ramon,

Great to hear you are reviwing the openPDC. Note that the signal types relate to the type of data that gets stored by the system. If your device is using a standard phasor protocol then you just need to define an angle and a magnitude for a phasor from the perspective of storage and processing. The phasor protocols automatically convert rectangular signals into their polar equivalents. As a result you normally do not need to define the imaginary components of a phasor - the system handles this for you.

If you really want to store rectangular values for some reason then you would need to create the measurments and add the signal types as you were trying to do - but this is normally not necessary. Do you have a buisness need for using a phasor in rectangular coordinates?

Also, you may want to consider using the openPDC "Manager" - a web based application that allows you to configure the system easily. This tool will take a configuration file from the device captured by the PMU Connection Tester and use that information to automatically configure the system.

Hope that helps!

Ritchie

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hi Ritchie, thanks for your response. I think I got the concept. It means that no matter how the actual PMU sends the phasor data (polar or rectangular) through the C37.118 protocol, OpenPDC saves them as magnitude and angle for historian purposes. Is that right?

P.S. We tried to use the OpenPDC Manager, but we keep getting an error about it being not able to load the node list. We are strictly following the intructions on the web page and using a build from release 39631.

I guess our team needs more time to get acquainted with the software.

Ramon

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM

That's correct - I'll close the issue you created. FYI, there have been many good code updates since the build set you are using. I would recommend you get latest - nighlty builds are available here if handy:

http://openpdc.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=34682

I'll have Mehul contact you on the openPDC Manager issue you encountered - sounds fairly simple.

Ritchie

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Hi Ramon,

Regarding your openPDC Manager issue, you will probably need to include the full path to the mdb file in the connection string contained in the openPDCManagerServices web.config (assuming you are using the Access database). The connection string should then look something like this:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=C:\Projects\openPDC\Synchrophasor\Current Version\Build\Output\Release\Applications\openPDC\openPDC.mdb

I will modify the instructions on the web page accordingly. Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,

Stephen

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply. I actually did it that way, but I am still getting the error: "Failed to retreive nodes" " An error ocurred requesting URI 'http://localhost ..."

I am using the Access database.

Thanks again,

Ramon

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hello, Ramon. How are you? I hope everything is fine. In our installation of the openPDC Manager I changed the value of the "BaseServiceUrl" in the "wwwroot\openPDCManager\Web.config" file (xml section "appSettings") from "localhost" to the microcomputer IP (or to the DNS name) and it worked fine. Try this.

Best regards!  
Marcelo

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Oi Marcelo, I'm doing great. How about you? Finally got the server for installing the OpenPDC and I am starting to configure it. I will do what you suggest, thnx.

Take good care and say hello to everyone.

Ramon

Developer
Jan 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Hi Ramon,

After installing openPDCManager and openPDCManagerServices, please make sure url http://your_host_name/openpdcmanagerservices/service/phasordataservice.svc works (you should see a message "you have created a service"). Then proceed according to Marcelo. Please let us know if you have any issue.

Thank you,
Mehul Thakkar 

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Hi Mehul, actually, I did build teh OpenPDC Manager from code. Therefore, I skipped the change of the base service URL, as directed by the instructions. I did try the service using the url you directed and also http://my_local_host:1068/service/phasordataservice.svc. Both of them resulted in an "internet cannot load the web page".

Thanks for your help,

Ramon

Developer
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Hi Ramon,

If you are using Visual Studio then right click on "phasordataservice.svc" file in solution explorer and select "View in Browser". Also make sure ASP.Net Development Server (which is a web server built into visual studio) is running on port 1068. Please let me know what error does it display.

Thank you,
Mehul Thakkar

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Hi Mehul, I have been following your advise and found that somewhere I had an error in web.config. I am now going step-by-step with version 40430. Right now opening "phasordataservice.svc" in the browser works ok (created a service) and ASP.Net is running in 1038. I will report later.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Thanks guys, It worked Fine. I have my OpenPDC Manager up and Running.

Developer
Jan 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Hi Ramon,

That's great! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.